Right side up or upside down? It’s real, even though it feels like you’re dreaming. This rum-based cocktail, inspired by Dave Matthews Band’s “Crush,” will leave you sitting, smoking and feeling… well, you know. This is the third cocktail in our 2023 Summer Concert Cocktail Series.
Crush Cocktail Recipe, Inspired by Dave Matthews Band
2 oz Bacardi White Rum
1 ½ oz blueberry simple syrup
½ oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ oz Triple Sec
6 fresh blueberries (recipe below)
Tbsp fresh Pomegranate Seeds
- Add lemon juice, fresh blueberries, and pomegranate seeds to a cocktail shaker and muddle.
- Add ice, Bacardi, blueberry simple syrup, and Triple Sec, and shake vigorously until well chilled.
- Strain using a fine mesh strainer into your glass. Add ice if preferred.
- To garnish, add a lemon wheel slice to pick and lay pomegranate seeds inside wheel.
Blueberry Simple Syrup Recipe
1 cup fresh blueberries
½ cup water
Tiny pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- In a small saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add blueberries and a tiny pinch of salt to the saucepan and stir to coat the blueberries.
- Turn the heat to medium-low. Allow the berries to simmer on low for about 10 minutes. Do not stir them during the simmering.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the berries and syrup to cool completely to room temperature.
- Once cool, strain using a fine mesh strainer into a container. Do not press on the berries while straining.
- Refrigerate. The syrup will last up to 2 weeks, as is, in the refrigerator, or if you add a tablespoon of vodka or rum, it will last longer.
Recipe by Sarah Cascone / Styling by Anna Calabrese / Photography by Dave Bryce / Story by Star Laliberte
Subscribe to TABLE Magazine’s print edition.