What does green taste like? Herbaceous, fresh brightness that feels like a new start. To savor a bit of green’s wonderful qualities, try The Taste Curators‘ recipe for Roast Chicken with Spicy Green Sauce.
The impact of color is so profound that it’s been said that it influences 85% of our purchasing decisions. When you really think about it, this is as true when picking out the freshest bunch of basil as it is when choosing a new hat or new wallpaper. If we open ourselves up to it and acknowledge its power, color makes for impactful experiences.
When trying the following Roast Chicken with Spicy Green Sauce recipe, take a moment to stop and think about what you are tasting. Enjoy the moment and savor the palate happening in your mouth and the palette on your plate.
Roast Chicken with Spicy Green Sauce Recipe
For the Chicken:
1 tbsp kosher salt + 1/4 tsp
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 scallions, finely chopped
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 (3 1/2 lb) chicken, backbone removed and flattened with the heel of your hand
For the Sauce:
1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tsp Calabrian chili paste
1 cup packed cilantro leaves and tender stems
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves
1 small garlic clove
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice from 1/2 a lime
3/4 tsp kosher salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon salt, paprika, cumin, garlic, scallions, red wine vinegar and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Spread the marinade all over and under the skin of the chicken. Place in the chicken in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap or in a resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate for 8 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before roasting.
- Meanwhile, in the pitcher of a blender combine the poblano pepper, chili paste, cilantro, basil, parsley, garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, and salt. Purée until the mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Place the chicken on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Roast until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part reads 160 degrees, about 45 minutes. Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving with the green sauce.
Story and Styling by The Taste Curators / Recipe courtesy of Lish Steiling, The Taste Curators / Photography by Lauren Volo
Subscribe to TABLE Magazine’s print edition.