The familiar blend of baking spices and sweet Soergel’s carrots takes on a new sophistication with a touch of white miso paste. It adds an unexpected layer of umami, which harmonizes beautifully with the traditional cream cheese frosting — with or without an optional dose of fragrant cardamom. Farm-fresh butter from Marburger Farm Dairy completes the deliciousness.
Carrot Miso Cupcakes Recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR CUPCAKES
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
1 tsp white miso paste
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¾ cups canola oil
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp milk
1 ½ cups grated carrots from Soergel Orchards
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-count muffin pan with paper liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl using an electric mixer), whisk together flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, miso, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Stir in canola oil. Add eggs, one at a time, pausing to scrape down sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat until well-combined.
- Stir in vanilla extract and milk.
- Add carrots and stir until combined.
- Evenly divide batter into cupcake liners, filling each ⅔-¾ of the way full. Transfer to oven and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating with cream cheese frosting.
INGREDIENTS FOR FROSTING
8 oz cream cheese
½ cup butter from Marburger Farm Dairy, softened
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
¼ tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- Beat cream cheese, softened butter, and vanilla together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
- Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
- Add ground cardamom if desired.
Recipes and Styling by Anna Calabrese / Photography by Dave Bryce
Subscribe to TABLE Magazine‘s print edition.