Our longtime Kids Table contributor Kelly Kinsey created this fun fruit sammies recipe featuring fresh fruit and creme cheese. Bring the kids in to participate in the making of these good foods. The fun is part of the process!
Fun Fruit Sammies Recipe
Slider buns, Hawaiian buns, pretzel buns, or slices of Italian bread
8 oz package of Philadelphia cream cheese
1 cup Fresh or Frozen blueberries (if frozen, thaw to room temp and drain off excess liquid)
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp orange zest
- Slice fresh fruits. Depending on the appetites involved, estimate per kid (or adult!) 2 large strawberries, half an orange, 1 slice of pineapple.
- Choose your bread. Salty pretzel buns are fun and tasty, but better for older tastebuds and dexterities. Soft breads like slider buns, Hawaiian buns, and slices of Italian bread are great for younger kids.
- In a food processor or with a mixer, blend an 8 oz package of cream cheese with the blueberries, sugar, and zest. This will keep, covered in fridge, for about a week after making.
- Toast the bread if you like a little bit of melting in the cream cheese.
- Spread cream cheese mixture generously on both sides of your bread. Layer sliced fruits on one half of the bread, and top with the other.
Recipe by Kelly Kinsey / Story, Styling, and Photography by Keith Recker
Subscribe to TABLE Magazine’s print edition.