While peaches are still in season, try this flavorful, healthy, and summery Quinoa and Peach Salad recipe. Quinoa — a whole grain high in protein — combines with peaches, cucumber, red onion, and spices for a light yet filling side dish. Add grilled chicken or feta cheese to bulk up the salad and make it a main course.
TABLE Magazine friend and collaborator Kristen Palmer created this recipe with healthy, supportive ingredients in mind. A graduate of New York’s Natural Gourmet Institute, where she focused on nutrition and health along with formal culinary techniques, Kristen has worked as a private chef for the Pittsburgh Ballet. Her recipes center on nutrient-dense, body-beneficial foods.
“My philosophy towards food is that you should get the most flavor and nutrients out of the calories you’re taking,” Kristen says, “focusing on whole grains, vegetables, lean proteins… foods that pack a punch so that you’re being efficient with your eating.”
Quinoa and Peach Salad Recipe
1 cup dry quinoa
15 oz can chickpeas
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
3 small peaches, diced
1 cup diced English cucumber
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/3 cup chopped mint
1/3 cup chopped basil
For the Dressing
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp agave
1 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse quinoa and set aside.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a medium bowl combine chickpeas, coriander, brown sugar, cayenne, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Toss to combine and spread onto baking sheet.
- Roast chickpeas for 20 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Bring 2 cups of water and 1 tsp salt to a boil. Add quinoa, cover pot, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 min.
- While quinoa simmers, make dressing by combining oil with salt and whisking or blending.
- When quinoa is done, spread onto a baking sheet to cool.
- While quinoa cools, prepare peaches – basil.
- Combine dressing and quinoa in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add vegetables and herbs and toss. Top with roasted chickpeas before serving.
Recipe by Kristen Palmer / Styling by Anna Calabrese / Photography by Dave Bryce
Subscribe to TABLE Magazine’s print edition.