Alert: Swimsuit season is just ahead. Maybe a delicious soup-for-dinner strategy is in order? Because this vegetarian dish is packed with flavor, it will be more treat than sacrifice. It’s also perfect for Meatless Mondays. The mushrooms are from Real Fungi, and the veggies from Tiny Seed Farm.
Vegetarian Ramen Bowl Recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR THE RAMEN:
2 cups mushrooms from Real Fungi, LLC
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
3 garlic cloves from Tiny Seed Farm
2-inch ginger piece
1/4 cup miso
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp vegetable bullion
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sriracha
3 qt water
2 packs of your preferred instant ramen noodles or rice noodles
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE RAMEN:
- In a large stock pot add all broth ingredients. Simmer on low for 1-2 hours.
- Strain and season with additional soy sauce to taste.
- After straining the broth, add in noodles and cook according to package directions.
- Top with local veggies (roasted carrots, roasted radishes, sautéed spinach, roasted mushrooms, chopped green onions, pickled Swiss chard stems).
INGREDIENTS FOR QUICK-PICKLED SWISS CHARD STEMS:
2 cups chopped Swiss chard stems from Marshall’s Heritage Farm
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 star anise
INSTRUCTIONS FOR QUICK-PICKLED SWISS CHARD STEMS:
- Place chopped stems into a Mason jar and set aside.
- Add vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and spices to a sauce pot and bring to a simmer.
- Pour over stems and cover with a lid. Let sit for at least 1 hour or up to 2 weeks.
Recipes and Styling by Anna Calabrese / Photography by Dave Bryce
Subscribe to TABLE Magazine‘s print edition.