The secret to this fluffy homemade blueberry pancake recipe is milk and vinegar. By letting the two ingredients sit together to create “buttermilk,” you’ll end up with soft, airy pancakes no one will be able to resist.
Blueberry Pancakes Recipe
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 cup flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp melted butter
1+ cup fresh blueberries
More butter for the pan
- Mix the milk and vinegar and let it sit for a minute or two (you’re making “buttermilk” here).
- Whisk the dry ingredients together. Whisk the egg, milk, and melted butter into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Melt a little smear of butter in the pan.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of batter into the hot skillet and spread it flat-like (it will be pretty thick). Arrange a few blueberries on top. Cook until you see little bubbles on top and the edges starting to firm up.
- Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the pancakes are sky-high fluffy and cooked through.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup.
To Freeze: Let pancakes cool completely. Layer pancakes between sheets of parchment paper and place in a freezer bag. Will keep for up to two months in the freezer.
Recipe by Alekka Sweeney / Photography by Dave Bryce