Two things with an instant warming effect — soups/stew and curry. Warm up on a cold winter night with this curried stew by our good friend Liz Fetchin. She is always creating allergen-safe foods that are easy to prepare and enjoyable for the entire family.
For more allergen-free recipes and perspectives, visit Liz Fetchin’s blog, Octofree at octofree.com.
CURRIED WHITE BEAN TOMATO STEW RECIPE
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
1 tbsp sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 28-ounce can of crushed or diced tomatoes in their juice
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
3 tbsp curry powder
2 15-ounce cans of cannellini, great northern beans or chick peas(or a combination of whatever white beans you have), drained and rinsed
3 tbsp pureed pumpkin
1 15 ounce can of full-fat coconut milk
1/3 cup vegetable stock
Juice of one lemon
Lime wedges or lime zest
1. Heat sesame oil over medium heat in large stockpot
2. Add garlic and cook until fragrant
3. Add tomatoes
4. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and curry powder; stir to combine
5. Add white beans and pumpkin puree and stir. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes
6. Add coconut milk and stock
7. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes
8. Stir in lemon juice
9. Use a potato masher to mash up some of the beans, keeping a chunky consistency overall
10. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges or zest, and serve!
RECIPE BY LIZ FETCHIN / STYLING BY KEITH RECKER / PHOTOGRAPHY BY DAVE BRYCE
Try some other TABLE curry recipes:
Don’t miss a single delicious thing:
Subscribe to TABLE Magazine here!