Like a river that twists through a dusty land, our Rio Cocktail, Inspired by Duran Duran, will leave you feeling like you should be dancing in the sand. This cocktail was created with the tropical, vibrant flavors one might enjoy sipping while on the sandy beaches of Rio de Janeiro, the original exotic location inspiration for the song as imagined by John Taylor. But it was Simon Le Bon who wrote the track’s lyrics and decided rather than the city; the song would be about a girl named Rio.
Rio Cocktail Recipe
- Add ice to your cocktail shaker.
- Pour in tropical rum, gold tequila, and margarita mix, and shake.
- Pour over crushed ice in a tall wine glass.
- Garnish with a thin slice of dragon fruit (wheel), and then add a mango flower (roll a thin sliced piece of fresh mango, creating a rose).
Fresh Margarita Mix Recipe
1 ½ cup fresh squeezed lime juice (about 8 limes)
½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice (1 large orange)
½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (1 Lemon)
1/3 cup organic agave nectar
1 cup filtered water
- Add all ingredients into a glass jar with a lid and shake until combined.
- Store in the refrigerator. This fresh margarita mix will keep in the refrigerator in a sealed container for 3-4 days.
Recipe by Sarah Cascone / Styling by Anna Calabrese / Photography by Dave Bryce / Story by Star Laliberte
Try these other cocktails in our Summer Concert Series:
You Proof Cocktail, Inspired by Morgan Wallen
Forever Young Cocktail, Inspired by Rod Stewart
Sunrise, Sunburn, Sunset Cocktail, Inspired by Luke Bryan
Appetite for Destruction, Inspired by Guns N’ Roses
Like a Virgin and Material Girl: 2 Cocktails Inspired by Madonna
Prickly Pear Lemonade and Queen B: 2 Cocktails Inspired by Beyoncé
So What Cocktail, Inspired by Pink
Baker’s Dozen Cocktail, Inspired by Phish
Man, I Feel Like a Women Cocktail, Inspired by Shania Twain
Sunflower Cocktail, Inspired by Post Malone
Typical Average Cocktail, Inspired by Ed Sheeran
Crush Cocktail, Inspired by Dave Matthews Band
Summer’s In Your Blood Cocktail, Inspired by Boygenius
Lover Cocktail, Inspired by Taylor Swift
Subscribe to TABLE Magazine’s print edition.