Country music singer and songwriter Morgan Wallen is the inspiration for the 16th cocktail, You Proof, in our 2023 Summer Concert Cocktail Series. This bourbon cocktail offers a nice kick with a spicy ginger finish, great for summer sipping. Wallen’s One Night at a Time Tour will stop in Pittsburgh at PNC Park on August 30.
You Proof Cocktail Recipe
3 oz Woodford Reserve Bourbon
3 dashes of ginger bitters
1 ½ cup fresh brewed black tea
2 oz Lemon Ginger Simple Syrup (recipe below)
Garnish: lemon wheel and fresh mint
- Stir the bourbon and bitters together, then add in the tea and simple syrup.
- Pour the cocktail over ice in your glass and garnish with a lemon wheel and fresh mint.
Lemon Ginger Simple Syrup
½ cup sugar
¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
¾ cup water
½ inch ginger, peeled and grated
- In a small saucepan, add the sugar and water over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add the grated ginger, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Allow mixture to steep, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Strain your syrup using a fine mesh strainer to remove all solids. Discard all solids. This Lemon Ginger Simple Syrup will keep in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks or if you add a tablespoon of vodka or rum it will last longer.
Recipe by Sarah Cascone / Styling by Anna Calabrese / Photography by Dave Bryce / Story by Star Laliberte
Try these other cocktails in our Summer Concert Series:
Forever Young Cocktail, Inspired by Rod Stewart
Sunrise, Sunburn, Sunset Cocktail, Inspired by Luke Bryan
Appetite for Destruction, Inspired by Guns N’ Roses
Like a Virgin and Material Girl: 2 Cocktails Inspired by Madonna
Prickly Pear Lemonade and Queen B: 2 Cocktails Inspired by Beyoncé
So What Cocktail, Inspired by Pink
Baker’s Dozen Cocktail, Inspired by Phish
Man, I Feel Like a Women Cocktail, Inspired by Shania Twain
Sunflower Cocktail, Inspired by Post Malone
Typical Average Cocktail, Inspired by Ed Sheeran
Crush Cocktail, Inspired by Dave Matthews Band
Summer’s In Your Blood Cocktail, Inspired by Boygenius
Lover Cocktail, Inspired by Taylor Swift
Subscribe to TABLE Magazine’s print edition.